Transcriptions from the parish registers of St Mary the Virgin, East Bergholt, held at SRO. They can also be searched for at FreeREG.
Headstones from this churchyard, and also from East Bergholt’s municipal cemetery, are included in the Gravestone Photographic Resource project.
- Maiden names appear in baptisms and burials from 1785-1812.
- In burials 1765-1782, the letter A or M is written beside each entry. It isn’t clear what this indicates, but might mean “adult” and “minor”. Some causes of death are given as well.
- You’ll find the birth recorded for the artist John Constable amongst the baptisms, as well as many other records pertaining to his family in East Bergholt.
- There are a lot of entries for people from north-east Essex in East Bergholt.
- 1682-1725: 1,050 baptisms (248KB – PDF)
- 1726-1770: 993 baptisms (166KB – PDF)
- 1771-1799: 894 baptisms (213KB – PDF)
- 1800-1812: 371 baptisms (114KB – PDF)
- 1892-1900: 185 baptisms (83KB – PDF)
- 1727-1770: 1,025 burials (170KB – PDF)
- 1771-1809: 884 burials (199KB – PDF)
- 1810-1824: 278 burials (86KB – PDF)
- Alphabetically by groom surname: 365 marriages (102KB – PDF)
- Alphabetically by bride surname: 365 marriages (102KB – PDF)