I have transcribed digital scans of Great Oakley All Saints parish registers available via ERO’s Essex Ancestors. Full transcriptions are available below for baptisms and burials. All these transcriptions can be searched for at FreeREG. Photos of some headstones from the churchyard and plaques from inside the church at the bottom of the page. Hover for a brief transcription, or click to see a larger version of the photo on Flickr.
- The Great Oakley registers contain many entries for residents of Wix.
- Between 1640-63, the register is very patchy.
- References to “St. G” and “SG” etc amongst marriages and baptisms refer to Stones Green, where there was a chapel (presumably a chapel of ease). The chapel has since been converted into a private house.
- Increased number of burials in 1666 – August, September and October burials have a note beside them to say that those dying had the plague. Neighbouring Wix has increased burials (without any notes to say that it was plague) in January and February 1665/6.
- The register for 1673-1766 was cropped at the top and sides at some point, which has resulted in the loss of some names.
- 1559-1672: 1,015 baptisms (256KB – PDF)
- 1673-1766: 1,727 baptisms (314KB – PDF)
- 1767-1813: 1,249 baptisms (263KB – PDF)
- 1813-1865: 1,609 baptisms (338KB – PDF)
- 1865-1902: 798 baptisms (264KB – PDF)
- 1559-1672: 1,257 burials (269KB – PDF)
- 1673-1766: 1,557 burials (291KB – PDF)
- 1767-1813: 1,557 burials (291KB – PDF)
- 1813-1893: 1,590 burials (310KB – PDF)
- Alphabetically by groom surname: 719 marriages (236KB – PDF)
- Alphabetically by bride surname: 719 marriages (236KB – PDF)
Note: Groom abodes and marital status in groom list only, and brides vice versa.
- Alphabetically by groom surname: 432 marriages (209KB – PDF)
- Alphabetically by bride surname: 432 marriages (208KB – PDF)
To present all the information available in the register, yet keep it in a search-by-surname format, the marriages have been split so that you can search by surname for either spouse in the “marriage details” list (which also provides notes and names of witnesses and who signed or marked). Then when you can search for the spouse in the “groom details” or “bride details” lists, which give marital status, abode and occupation.
- Marriage details: 235 marriages (208KB – PDF)
- Groom details: 235 marriages (209KB – PDF)
- Bride details: 235 marriages (208KB – PDF)
1837-1915 to follow (496 marriages).