Transcriptions from the parish registers of St Mary the Virgin, East Bergholt, held at SRO. They can also be searched for at FreeREG.
- Headstones from this churchyard, and also from East Bergholt’s municipal cemetery, are included in the Gravestone Photographic Resource project.
- Index of surnames in East Bergholt’s churchyard published 1901-02 in The East Anglian. Read online.
- Memorials in the church were recorded in the early 1900s in The East Anglian in three parts: part one, part two, part three.
- Memorials of John Constable’s family at St John’s, Highgate, published in 1910 in The East Anglian. Read online.
- The earliest register hasn’t survived. Records begin in the 1650s.
- Few baptisms in 1658, 1659, and 1660. One birth from 1695 is in the 1653-1682 baptisms spreadsheet.
- No burials from June 1658-March 1660/1.
- Marriages begin in 1661.
- Maiden names appear in baptisms and burials from 1785-1812.
- In burials 1765-1782, the letter A or M is written beside each entry. It isn’t clear what this indicates, but might mean “adult” and “minor”. Some causes of death are given as well.
- You’ll find the birth recorded for the artist John Constable amongst the baptisms, as well as many other records pertaining to his family in East Bergholt.
- There are a lot of entries for people from north-east Essex in East Bergholt.
- 1653-1682, 1695: 987 baptisms (PDF: 172KB)
- 1682-1725: 1,050 baptisms (PDF – 248KB)
- 1726-1770: 993 baptisms (PDF – 166KB)
- 1771-1799: 894 baptisms (PDF – 213KB)
- 1800-1812: 371 baptisms (PDF – 114KB)
- 1892-1900: 185 baptisms (PDF – 83KB)
- 1656-1726 to follow
- 1727-1770: 1,025 burials (PDF – 170KB)
- 1771-1809: 884 burials (PDF – 199KB)
- 1810-1824: 278 burials (PDF – 86KB)
- To follow
- Alphabetically by groom surname: 365 marriages (PDF – 102KB)
- Alphabetically by bride surname: 365 marriages (PDF – 102KB)